Are you a creative commercial designer looking for your next challenge? Would you like to help shape the look of a wide-ranging list – from cutting-edge science fiction to edge-of-your-seat thrillers, richly illustrated narrative non-fiction to summer romance?
We are looking for a talented Cover Designer to join the Head of Zeus Art Department, working across all our six imprints, with a particular focus on Aries (crime, thriller, adventure & horror) and Ad Astra (SFF). Working closely with editors you will create genre-defining covers – identifying and appealing to the market for each title. You’ll pay close attention to every iteration of the book cover, whether it’s a digital thumbnail or a luxuriously produced special edition.
Head of Zeus, a division of Bloomsbury, is a dynamic publisher of fiction (commercial, literary, children’s) and non-fiction (humanities, biographies, lifestyle). We publish around 170 trade titles and 200 paperback titles a year.
This will be a full-time position, currently in house 2+ days a week (Angel/Farringdon, Central London). You will report to the Art Director and work within the Art & Production Department.
Responsibilities would include:
• Designing original covers, with a particular focus on our Aries and Ad Astra lists
• Laying up spread jacket and cover art for circulation; preparing and supplying artwork for print
• Updating databases with cover progress/approved cover visuals
Skills should include :
• 2+ years of relevant work experience
• Excellent Creative Suite skills (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) for Mac
• Ability to prioritise, multi-task, and stay organised in a busy work environment
• High standard of typographic design, with excellent attention to detail
• Confident communication skills
Desirable, but not essential:
• Illustration skills
Dependent on experience
Job start date
Jan/Feb 2023 (depending on notice period)
If this sounds like you please send the below to firstname.lastname@example.org
– a PDF portfolio of relevant work
– a cover letter telling us why you want to work at Head of Zeus and what makes you a good fit for our team
– your CV
– salary expectations
– notice period / the date you would be able to start work.
11 December 2022 (early applications welcomed, we hope to recruit before the end of the year)
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- Two paid Personal Wellness Days
- Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
- Season Ticket Loan
- Sharesave Scheme
- In-house Doctor
- Eyecare Voucher Scheme
- Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom, Disability, Mental Health, Pride and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 12 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community. We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.